Dealer License Training Class


Thinking of getting a used vehicle dealer license?  Here are some things you’ll need to do:


  •  Take the state required used motor vehicle pre-license education class.  Spend one day going over all the requirements needed to obtain your license, the State and Federal laws/rules that dealers must follow, basic tips and advice to be able to run your dealership, and give you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have.  At the end of the class you’ll receive a certificate (good for 6 months) that needs to be sent in to the BMV with the dealer license application.
Background Check:

  • Get your criminal history report done.  The BMV requires everyone on the license application to have electronic fingerprints and a background check done.  The results need to be sent to the BMV dealer licensing dept. and are good for 12 months. The association has the equipment here in the office if you’d like to have it done on break or after class. 
Register the Business:

  • Do you know what type of business entity you’re going to be?  Sole proprietor, LLC, Corporation, etc.  You’ll need to register your company with the Ohio Secretary of State.  Click here to see if the business name you want to use is available:  Registering online is the fastest way to get it done and you’ll need to include a copy of the business certificate with your license application.
Financial Information:

  • The State of Ohio requires all used car dealers to have a net worth of at least $75,000 and a surety bond of no less than $25,000.  The bond is not required if you’ve held a dealer license in the last 12 months that was not suspended or revoked.  The net worth requirement is still required.  Proof of net worth is required upon request but does not need to be turned in with the license application. 
Permits & Licenses:

  • Make sure you check with your local zoning, city, townships, code enforcement or chamber of commerce type officials.  Verify that a used motor vehicle dealership is permitted at that location.  The BMV will not verify it for you, this is your responsibility. 

You will need to get a County Vendor License: registering online through the Ohio Business Gateway is the fastest way:
You may also need to obtain a FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number)

Building, Lot & Signs:

  • We will go over the specific requirements for the location in the pre-license class.  Everything from the size options of the display lot, the minimum height of the letters on the business sign, to how many chairs you need in the office…you’ll know everything you’ll need to have in place before the BMV can approve your license.
License Application:

  • Fill out the used motor vehicle dealer license application.  One of the benefits of being a member of the OIADA is having us help you complete the application and monitor it while it goes through the process.  We don’t get special treatment from the BMV; we deal with this every day and know what to look for.  Having your application pre-checked, hand delivered to the BMV, and monitored while it’s being processed can expedite the process. 
Stay Compliant:

  • Want to know where to get all the information you need before you open?  Want to know who to call when you have questions or issues once you’re open?  Join the OIADA.