Thinking of getting a used vehicle dealer license? Here are some things you’ll need to do:
- Take the state required used motor vehicle pre-license education class. Spend one day going over all the requirements needed to obtain your license, the State and Federal laws/rules that dealers must follow, basic tips and advice to be able to run your dealership, and give you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have. At the end of the class you’ll receive a certificate (good for 6 months) that needs to be sent in to the BMV with the dealer license application.
- Get your criminal history report done. The BMV requires everyone on the license application to have electronic fingerprints and a background check done. The results need to be sent to the BMV dealer licensing dept. and are good for 12 months. The association has the equipment here in the office if you’d like to have it done on break or after class.
Register the Business:
- Do you know what type of business entity you’re going to be? Sole proprietor, LLC, Corporation, etc. You’ll need to register your company with the Ohio Secretary of State. Click here to see if the business name you want to use is available: www.sos.state.oh.us/businesses/ Registering online is the fastest way to get it done and you’ll need to include a copy of the business certificate with your license application.
- The State of Ohio requires all used car dealers to have a net worth of at least $75,000 and a surety bond of no less than $25,000. The bond is not required if you’ve held a dealer license in the last 12 months that was not suspended or revoked. The net worth requirement is still required. Proof of net worth is required upon request but does not need to be turned in with the license application.
Permits & Licenses:
- Make sure you check with your local zoning, city, townships, code enforcement or chamber of commerce type officials. Verify that a used motor vehicle dealership is permitted at that location. The BMV will not verify it for you, this is your responsibility.
You will need to get a County Vendor License: registering online through the Ohio Business Gateway is the fastest way: https://ohiobusinessgateway.ohio.gov
You may also need to obtain a FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number). www.irs.gov
Building, Lot & Signs:
- We will go over the specific requirements for the location in the pre-license class. Everything from the size options of the display lot, the minimum height of the letters on the business sign, to how many chairs you need in the office…you’ll know everything you’ll need to have in place before the BMV can approve your license.
- Fill out the used motor vehicle dealer license application. One of the benefits of being a member of the OIADA is having us help you complete the application and monitor it while it goes through the process. We don’t get special treatment from the BMV; we deal with this every day and know what to look for. Having your application pre-checked, hand delivered to the BMV, and monitored while it’s being processed can expedite the process.
- Want to know where to get all the information you need before you open? Want to know who to call when you have questions or issues once you’re open? Join the OIADA.
Perhaps these Testimonials will help you make the wise decision.
Bahluxe Auto Sale
I am very glad to be here because I have learned more than I thought.
The instructor was extremely knowledgeable and helpful with questions.
Is very informative.
Everything is good to go.
Good, a lot of information
Good class. Very informative
C & N Auto Wholesale LLC
This class is great, I wouldn’t change a thing.
Hughes truck Repair LLC
Everything was covered well.
Auto Management Group LLC
I enjoyed the class I thought it was thorough in content and informative.
Regal Auto Sales
Very good & informative class. Great instructor.
Class was very informative & educational
Very concise and efficient
Everything was good and knowledgeable.
Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Great Class & Great information
Excellent training – lots of information
Superior Auto Sports LLC
Very good class I learned a lot thanks to Wendy
Special Collection LLC
Great presenter, very good at what she does!
One Stop Auto Sales
It is totally a great class and covers any and all things that I will need to know to open my lot. Good review of what you will be doing, sales, buying, taxes, titles, it covers all glad it is in effect, should have been there all the time.
J & J Family Auto
Was very helpful and a great resource for future questions. The instructor was clear and upbeat. Very easy to learn from.
Very informative received way more information that I expected. Well done.
Valley Finance LLC
Great class…OIADA and Wendy Great Job! Very informative and educational. Also many great practical applications given.
Central Auto Port LLC
This class covered all aspects of selling & buying used cars in a fun and very informative class. The trainer really knows the business well!
Maxwell Luxury Imports LLC
Wendy Rinehart is a saint & the best thing that has happened to the Ohio Car industry!
E. P. C & Sons
Was a well put together class. Learned a lot. Glad it was put in simple terms.
Five Star Motors LLC
Excellent class, very informative. I have been in the auto industry as a general manager for a while and still learned some new things!
Keep Wendy Rinehart. She does an excellent job. I thought I knew it all, but learned much, much more!
Everything was properly explained & presented in an easy to understand manner.
Ak Autos LLC
The class is very informative and get a clear understanding of most of my questions.
D & B Auto Body & sales LLC
I learned a lot about do’s and don’ts of dealers. This course was very instructive of absolutely everything w2e needed to know.
Low Cost Auto Group LLC
I have been in the car business for 39+ years. This is the first time I have taken this class. I am not ashamed to say that I learned from this class. Several things actually. Wendy was terrific. Informative and interesting, friendly and funny, kept me interested the entire class. You can teach an old dog new tricks (allowed smoke breaks – big plus) Thanks Wendy!
Avery Auto Sales
Very informative class. Wendy expertly provided all pertinent and relative roles laws and practices in a fun entertaining way! Before the class I assumed this would be 6 hours of
“this is what the state and federal expect and how much you owe.” Pleasantly proven wrong!
D & B Auto Body Sales LLC
Very comprehensive course. I was surprised at what I didn’t know. Atmosphere was very relaxed and the information was easily understood. All questions were taken seriously and answered completely.
D & B Auto Body Sales LLC
I learned a lot about the do’s and don’ts of dealers. This course was very instructive of absolutely everything we needed to know.
APT Alpha Plastics & Trailer Sales
Enjoyed class, would have to have a lifelong dream of being a used car dealer, after learning all of the legal responsibility and fees that could be imposed if you make mistakes.
Vehicle Management Group LLC DBA P Squared
Far More informative than I thought. The experience of the presenter was extremely appreciated as it encouraged real life examples to bring life to the material. This was a great value.
Keith Jordon’s 10 and Under LLC
I have been in the car business since 1985. This was an excellent refresher course for all of us in the business. Thought I knew quite a bit but this was a great class. I recommend this class to all dealers Wendy was Awesome!
Ak Autos LLC
This class was very informative and get clear understanding of most of my questions.
Great class. Learned more than I thought I would. More stressed now but it will all be fine.
I figured this class was bullsh*t but I must say Wendy is very knowledgeable and amazing!
Adj Leasing LLC DBA 2ns Chance Auto Pro’s
This class was great/relaxing learning environment. Thank you, the class was very informative and great.
Kohmann Motors & Mowers
Good Info. Informative organized in an easy manor to understand.
A2Z Used Cars LLC
Class was the bomb! Ms. Wendy explained everything clear and I will also study more.
Freemans Easy Auto Credit
So informative! Very helpful and covered a wide range of subject area.
Bibo Car Sales LLC
Great class! Very informative. Wendy was very patient.
I was trying to see what were the procedures to open a dealership. Good class; good information and great speakers.
Cliff Stapleton’s Garage
Great value. Well worth the trip and the small investment.
Low Cost Auto Group LLC
Very good instructor knows her topics very well. A wealth of information and very good in her presentation.
Pull-A-Part Auto Sales LLC
Every time I come to the class I always learn something new!